Take Your Dog To The Vet Immediately
If He Shows Any Of These 7 Signs Of Antifreeze Poisoning
petmd.com Pouch showing obvious worrying signs
There are a lot of wonderful things to enjoy about wintertime!
Most years we enjoy a good winter, it is a time for fun and dogs love to play in the snow. Most years we enjoy the snow and we love playing with the children and our furry friends in the snow, so it can be loads of happy moments and many memories frozen in time in our camera. Enjoying hot chocolate with our loved ones.
Many hidden hazards, unseen and dangerous to our dog. So not for them the worries of back ache, twisted ankle , or providing the next meal.
The cold months may also have a surprising, scary hazard in store ,and we are not talking snow storm or hidden gulleys ,for our family pet because we are talking—antifreeze.
Most of have used antifreeze in our car, other vehicles and machinery. In a cold part of the country you can’t get by without antifreeze, so scary hazard in store for the family pet — antifreeze. and there lies the real danger for our love pets because they love leaking the sweet test of antifreeze.
Dogs can take in antifreeze by licking up dripping and spillage from the car, toilets and from storage areas, dripping winterized pipes.
Dogs, cats and other animals leak these obnoxious liquids or dripping with very serious consequence for our pets.
I would take my dog to the vet immediately
Why Do Dogs Eat Antifreeze?
Over90,000 animals — including household pets — ingest antifreeze every single year, making it a leading cause of poisoning in animals. So what drives them to eat such a toxic substance? This because the active ingredient of antifreeze is ethylene glycol, a sweet syrup deriving from alcohol.
Most animals have a very strong instinct s to avoid food that will make them sick until they get the smell of antifreeze.
That’s because the active ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, a sweet syrup derived from alcohol. Far from tasting bad, ethylene glycol attracts animals with its sugary flavour, and just a couple of ounces can be lethal.
Sign #1: Drunken Behaviour.
Ethylene glycol is a chemically similar to ordinary alcohol, so some of the symptoms might mimic someone who has had way too much to drink.
If your dog is usually agile, and suddenly begins to stumble and sway, as though he was drunk,Antifreeze affects balance and perception which means our four legged friends can’t walk the line or stay upright.
Sign# 2 Delirium
We all know that dogs sometimes see things a little differently — “That’s not a trash can, it’s an intruder!” — but this will look different.
If your dog is clearly seeing things that aren’t there, and showing it by barking, cowering, or attacking something that isn’t there, your pup might be hallucinating or in a delirious state.
Your dog may also be afraid and have trouble recognizing you and other people he normally loves.
Sign #3: Vomiting & Diarrhoea
Dogs are eating machines, and they throw-up pretty often, usually when they accidentally eat something that doesn’t agree with them.
Sign #4: Peeing Too Often
A dog with ethylene glycol poisoning might suddenly start peeing every couple of minutes, or might develop urinary incontinence and have trouble “holding it.”
The high volume of toxins will cause the kidneys to go into overdrive trying to excrete the bad stuff.
Sign #5: Sudden Depression.
thekennelclub.org.uk Where is my master?
Dogs are usually happy-go-lucky animals that can be pulled out of any funk with the promise of a walk or a cuddle.
If your dog doesn’t seem just a little bit glum, but is downright lethargic and unresponsive to stimulus, you may be dealing with something more serious.
A dog experiencing antifreeze poisoning may also cry or whimper, or may become anti-social and retreat away from people.
Sign #6: Lapsing In And Out
A dog with antifreeze poisoning may appear to lapse in and out of consciousness.
A sick dog will usually lie down to conserve energy, and a dog with ethylene glycol in his system is likely to have trouble staying conscious.
If your pooch is alert one minute, and passes out or swoons the next, you should go straight to the vet.
snowdog.guru (This is what I must keep away from)
Sign #7: Shaking, Shivering, And Seizures .
Shakes and shivers might progress into full-blown seizures as the poison begins to effect the brain.
What To Do
If you suspect your dog has antifreeze poisoning, you need to get help right away; even a small amount can be lethal.
You can give your dog a few spoonful of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting if the dog is conscious, and you know that the dog has consumed antifreeze in the past two hours.
As soon as possible contact the emergency line for your vet. If you can bring your dog straight to a vet or animal hospital, they may be able to remove the poison, or protect your dog’s kidneys.
Even if your dog seems fine, there is usually substantial kidney damage that will require treatment.